Climate | Economy
Arkansas State University Museum
The Arkansas State University Museum, which interprets the rich history of the
Crowley's Ridge Region and the Lower Mississippi River Valley, is accredited by
the American Association of Museums. It is one of four accredited museums in the
state. The ASU Museum is located in the west wing of the library and museum
complex in the heart of the ASU campus.
The permanent exhibits include fossils, minerals, antiques, toys, military
collections, glass collections and remnants from the pre-historic era. The
Museum also features a variety of temporary and special exhibits during the
year. One of the most popular permanent exhibits is "Old Town Arkansas",
illustrating a variety of "Main Street" shops from the early 20th century.
Self-guided tour books are available. Hours for the Museum are 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Monday through Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday (except campus holidays).
All exhibits are open to the public and admission is free.
The Forum, Jonesboro’s beautifully restored civic auditorium, hosts concerts,
plays, seminars, pageants, town meetings, business meetings, religious services,
film showings and weddings.
The Foundation of Arts for Northeast Arkansas, Inc., serves as an umbrella group
to coordinate funding and provide business management for affiliated cultural
and entertainment activities in Jonesboro.
Divisions within the Foundation include art, dance, theater, The Showtime Series
and the International Film Series.
The Convocation Center, completed in 1987, has the versatility to host events
ranging from small lectures to conventions, concerts, sporting events, trade
shows, rodeos and other activities. The center seats up to 11,500 people for
concerts and 10,529 for basketball games.
In addition to Arkansas State University athletics, special events have included
the Ice Capades, the Harlem Globetrotters, the Lippizaner stallions and many
Features include one of the largest telescopic seating configurations in the
world; meeting rooms and banquet facilities for groups up to 600 people (more
than 1,000 on the arena floor); a lecture hall with seating for 281 and
audiovisual facilities, a portable stage and sound facilities in the arena; and
parking for 1,300 vehicles.
The Fowler Performing Arts Center
The 78,000 square-foot Fowler Center is the newest addition to the ASU campus.
It features a concert hall, drama stage, experimental theatre, teaching gallery
and a grand lobby.
ASU Fine Arts Center Gallery
The Fine Arts Center Art Gallery, operated by the Department of Art, presents a
regularly changing schedule of art exhibitions. These exhibitions include the
work of artists from around the nation, the work of faculty and students of
Arkansas State University, and selections from a distinguished and growing
permanent collection. The gallery is open to students and the public from 10
a.m. until 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Group tours are also available.
Admission is free.
TOP OF PAGE
Climate is moderate, with temperatures normally ranging from 41 degrees to 80
degrees. Average annual precipitation totals approximately 50 inches of rainfall
and six inches of snowfall. Relative humidity is 80 percent in the summer and 60
percent in the winter. The growing season averages 225 to 260 days.
TOP OF PAGE
Jonesboro is one of the state's most dynamically developing centers, growing in
areas of industry, retail and medicine. As a hub of agricultural production,
Jonesboro has delta cotton land to the east and rice and soybean fields to the
southwest. Jonesboro is the home of Riceland Foods, the largest rice mill in the
Several large industries help to support our growing community. Among these
include: Hytrol Conveyor Company, Kraft Foods - Post Division, ASE-DELI
Products,Thomas & Betts, Frito Lay and Haworth.
In March 2000, Jonesboro MSA had a 3.7 percent unemployment rate as compared to
4.7 percent for the state of Arkansas and 4.1 percent of the United States
TOP OF PAGE
The Founding of Craighead County
Late in the year 1858, it had become apparent to many members of the Arkansas
General Assembly that there needed to be further divisions of the existing large
counties in order to govern and administer them better.
The main proponent of the move to establish another county in Northeast Arkansas
was Sen. William A. Jones who was the representative from Poinsett and St.
Francis Counties. Senator Thomas B. Craighead, however representing Crittenden
and Mississippi counties, was stubbornly opposed to the idea since the proposed
new county would include alluvial land, which had been providing a lucrative
source of revenue to some of his constituents in Mississippi County.
Senator Jones introduced the bill calling for creation of a new county from land
in Mississippi, Greene and Poinsett counties. Each time an attempt was made to
move it up on the senate calendar Senator Craighead prevented it.
A master of political strategy, Jones waited until Craighead was absent from the
senate chamber to call for a final vote on the measure.
With their leader gone, the opposing forces were unable to swing the vote in
their favor, and the bill passed, much to the consternation of Craighead when he
In a spirit of goodwill, however, Jones moved that the new county be named after
the senator who had been most opposed to its creation. Thus, Craighead County
came into being on February 19, 1859.
Soon afterwards, the county seat was named Jonesboro in honor of the legislator
who had worked so successfully on behalf of the new county.
Excerpts from The Story of Craighead County by Charles A. Stuck
TOP OF PAGE
The Founding of Jonesboro
Soon after the creation of Craighead County on February 19, 1859 a location in
the center of the county was sought for the new county seat, Jonesboro.
The actual site was selected after Fergus Snoddy offered to give 15 acres. J.N.
Burk, County Surveyor chose the location of the plot because there was a sort of
opening in the forest at that point. A site for the county courthouse was
selected as the center of the town.
The choice for the location received some opposition from area hunters. It was
one of the best deer crossings in this section of the country, during the winter
thousands of ducks roosted in the swampy ground east of the present Water &
Light plant, the banks of Lost Creek (a little north of that point) were
excellent feeding grounds for wild turkey and bear had been killed there. It was
felt to build a small and probably temporary town was to destroy, for all time,
one of the good hunting grounds in the area.
Progress prevailed and the underbrush was cleared. The town site was laid out by
surveyor Burk, creating a large center plot to be used for a courthouse.
Ninety-two town lots were then laid out around the center plot. The fifteen
acres were bounded by Monroe Avenue on the north, Church Street on the east,
Jefferson Avenue on the south, and Madison Street on the west.
Jonesboro was first incorporated shortly after it was founded and Aden Lynch was
elected the first Mayor, but interest in a formal government did not seem to
appeal to the citizens. The first charter of incorporation was allowed to lapse.
A second try was made and it also failed to interest the citizens. In 1882 with
the prospects of a railroad coming through the town, a number of prominent
citizens agreed that it should become an incorporated town with necessary
instruments of government. The third charter was granted and M.A. Adair was
elected Mayor in 1883.
TOP OF PAGE